Blog

Blog
Blog

Events

Events
Events

About

About
About

Mommy Moment Monday A Mother and Daughters Bond

My daughter was one of my two bridesmaids at my wedding 8/2011
Ok, so every parent dreams of the day when their baby will graduate from High School and head off to college.  Well, when I tell you that it happens a lot quicker than you'd imagine...... Please believe me!  


August 2015 our daughter Janae will be heading off to college.  It's feels like only yesterday she was learning how to talk and walk. I remember attending her dance recitals and she was so nervous to perform on stage with the bright lights and large crowds BUT despite her fear our baby always nailed it!!!  She was an honor roll student the entire time she was in Junior High School and I clearly remember how hard it was for her to transition into High School where she hardly knew anyone.  

All of these precious moments are so crisp in my mind and very dear to my heart but the thought of my baby heading to college in a few months is bittersweet for me. Please don't get me wrong, I am excited for her because she'll be able to experience something that I was not. Truth be told, when I was around my daughters age with a two year difference, instead of going to college, I was preparing to become a mother. Seventeen years later I can honestly say I have no regrets about being a young mom, I believe that everyone has a specific journey that molds them into the person that they need to be at an appointed time.  

My experiences has a young mother has allowed me to be a mother that is able to listen to my daughter, teach her from my past mistakes, guide her, talk to her about different topics no matter how uncomfortable we both my get. I am able to trust her to make good sound decisions as well as learn from her mistakes. I honestly believe that if I didn't go through what I went through as far as being a young mom, I may not be the woman I am today and today I am a woman that is grateful to God that I've been able to raise such a wonderful young lady.  
Her J.H.S. graduation 2011

2003 Janae and I were posing for the camera at a friends house

Christmas 2014

We went to Essence Street Style Block Party, Brooklyn NY September 2014
Until August 2015 I plan on spending more memorable mommy moments with her so when she's away at school having all the fun in the world and I am home missing her, I'll have beautiful still images of when we were together.  

To all parents out there I'd like to share a little gem with you,  I know motherhood can be challenging sometimes, I remember I would secretly wish that my children were old enough to do certain things for themselves, like fix their own breakfast, get dressed, entertain themselves safely as I slept a few more hours on the weekend, etc... and My mother-in-law would always tell me in her sweet little Jamaican voice "They'll be big before you know it honey and you will wish they were small, don't rush it!!"  Seventeen years later and I absolutely get it now, sometimes I was so busy trying to fast forward some moments instead of embracing them.   Thank goodness for pictures and old family videos!

Thank you for sharing Mommy Moment Monday with me, I woke up this morning and this was in my heart!
Mommy loves you JBH! 

No comments