Blog

Blog
Blog

Events

Events
Events

About

About
About

From Ratchet to The Real Reality

I remember there was a time I would rush home from work to engage in negative television. Oh my goodness, It was the highlight of my evening. My teenage daughter and I were hooked to "Ratchet T.V." (Yes, I admit it! I allowed my impressionable, innocent, pure daughter indulge in "Ratchet T.V." with me SMH!!!! You better not be judging me! ). 
Back then it was simply another form of entertainment and it kept me in the know!!! LOL! The next day at work everyone was talking about the same shows I watched the night before, we all had this connection! I remember there came a time when the hubby and I couldn't watch those shows together, He would complain about me "always having something to say" or I was too in my feelings! I would yell and cuss at the T.V. and insert us into situations. 
Yeah, it may sound crazy but your girl was all up in the mix! It was a ritual ya'll! I would grab a sexy glass of my favorite red wine ( Rashi Clarét) and indulge in the rachetness wholeheartedly. I use to be so pissed with some of the scenarios, my heart would race, my neck would tense up and old thoughts of pass situations I was involved in would surface and next thing you know, I was side-eyeing my husband and treating him like he was one of the ratchet characters on T.V.. I promise you, I was a mess. It wasn't until a season was over and there was break in between the new season starting that I realized I was feeding my spirit, mind and body JUNK! 
Seeing and hearing all the negative drama was no longer entertaining to me, it was taking a toll on my mood and relationships LMBO! When I tell you I had to quit cold turkey from "Ratchet T.V." I am not lying. It was hard especially when all of your co-workers and Facebook friends are all talking about the very thing you are trying to avoid. It was a challenge at first because I was now the odd ball, I was looked at as one of the weirdos who was now "too positive" (can you imagine, someone telling you? "You're too positive!" ). 
Anyway, years later, I am so glad I ridded myself from that crap and my daughter has too. I've learned that reality is that some of these "Reality T.V." shows are not REAL!!! (I've seen it for myself) Despite the fact that some of these shows depict a horrible side of women of color and women in general, there does exist a large group of women who have a genuine love and admiration for other women. I am blessed to be witness to the reality of Women from all walks of life being able to Create, Cultivate and Connect on a positive level. In the last year, God has connected me with some amazing Women!!! I absolutely love meeting new people, hearing their stories, learning more about what their like and what their purpose in life is. I have even been able to develop lasting friendships with some of them. Looking back now, I can honestly say that I have grown. I now desire to be surrounded by people who are growing and learning! I desire to engage in activities that are more fulfilling and will enrich my life. I am very aware of the seriousness of guarding my ear and eye gates and you should be too!

Today in my closing, I want to encourage you to be mindful of the company you keep and the things that you allow to be planted in your heart. Take inventory of the people in your life. At some point in the day, get off of automatic, pause, be still and just listen to your heart. Ask God to show you YOU. Once you get your response (and you will), Ask Him "Now what?" Trust me, God will guide you! He will show you YOU but you must be willing to see, Don't just hear God, Listen. I hope this post will be a blessing to you. If after you read this post and someone you know comes to mind, Please share this with them. You never know what a person may be going through.

Until next time!
​Be Blessed and Keep it Real!!!!!
Sharon Beason of Womenur
Lois Hines Co-Founder of Tropic Isle Living
Aneesah Merced of Polish PM Consulting
Noreen Sumpter and Gabi Lovve
Some ladies from The Truth and A Church Girl
Alycia Johnson of Always Journal

No comments